Wednesday 14 November 2012

Log your Memory: Week 46

Hi everyone :)

This week at Log your Memory it’s all about music.  One of the questions asked was… “What are your favourite musical groups or albums?”

Music has always been an important part of my life.  When my Mum was in her teens her older brothers had a band and they were very popular at the time.  They used to play at a dance hall regularly and Mum and Auntie Daphne would often go to the dances… in fact she met my Dad at one of those dances!

My Mum played the piano (but not in the band) and she was quite good at it.  I can remember times when the organist from church would be away and my Mum would be asked to step in for her.

One of my grandmothers (Dad’s mum) was a pianist and her very first job she ever had was to play the piano during the silent movies.  She got paid an absolute pittance and out of her pay she had to purchase the sheet music (even if she didn’t need it) as well as for her clothes to play in (even though it was dark and nobody could see her).

I grew up listening to 60’s music and country music.  Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton could often be heard on our record player along with all the 60’s hits. 

I still love 60’s music because it brings back so many memories but my tastes in country music have changed a bit.  I listen to Shania Twain, Miranda Lambert, Blake Shelton, Clay Walker, George Strait, Rascal Flatts, Faith Hill and Tim McGraw… but my all time favourite is Reba McEntire!

Here’s my layout:Week 46

This first time I heard Reba sing was on Oprah and it was a song called ‘She thinks his name was John’ from the ‘Read my Mind’ album.  It was a really sad song and I sat there with my new baby (Mikayla was only a few weeks old at the time) with tears running down my face.

A few months later I bought that album and listened to all of it over and over again until I knew every single word of all the songs.

Since then I’ve bought lots of other albums of Reba’s and I’ve definitely got some favourite songs.  I love that they all tell a story and they are easy to relate to. 

When it comes to music I’m definitely still a country girl!

I hope you all have a fab week xx

1 comment:

  1. I grew up on country music - can add John Denver, Glen Campbell, Charley Pride, Johnny Cash etc to your list. Nowadays its Faith Hill with a bit of Westlife. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Hi :) I really love hearing from you so please leave me a comment... I really appreciate it!
Thanks, Shell xx