Friday 29 March 2013

Feel Good Friday

Hi everyone :)

It’s very appropriate that this weeks’ Feel Good Friday is actually on Good Friday.   When I was growing up on the farm we had a lot of family traditions that we observed and Easter always had lots of traditions surrounding it.

Good Friday was our ‘meatless’ day.  We never ate red meat on Good Friday.  Mum actually grew up in a home where every Friday was ‘meatless’.  Unfortunately for her tripe and onions was often on the menu but when her Dad went fishing they had fresh fish instead.  Good Friday for us always meant fish and I can honestly say that I’ve never eaten tripe in my life.

This week at school there have been lots of Easter eggs floating around but in spite of the fact that I really like chocolate I’d rather have fresh eggs any day!

When I was young we had two brown hens… Henny and Penny :) They lived in a little A-frame hen house in the paddock and it was my job to feed them every day.

chicken-house-bottom

Our hens were definitely free range (long before the term became popular!)  I would feed them every night, shut them in their hen house and then collect their eggs and Mum would give me 5 cents per egg.  5 cents sure did seem like a lot of money back in those days!

I’ve always loved eggs… scrambled, poached, stuffed, made into omelettes… pretty much any way.  These days my absolute favourite is eggs benedict but thankfully for my waistline I don’t actually have it that often.

This week I decided that my memories of the humble egg was a pretty good think to ‘feel good’ about.   Here’s what I came up with:week 13 - eggs copy 

I hope you all have a really wonderful Easter weekend and get the chance to unwind and relax with family and friends. 

I’m heading into the kitchen to have a go at making macaroons for the first time… I’ve been waiting for ages to try them out.

In the meantime I’ll leave you with this little piece of Easter goodness:

18302917232624050608qdYxuAc

Happy Easter xx

1 comment:

  1. Aww thats a cute wee bunny backside. Have a great Easter break and can't wait to see your macaroons - they seem a bit tricky to me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi :) I really love hearing from you so please leave me a comment... I really appreciate it!
Thanks, Shell xx