Wednesday 24 April 2013

Some tragic news

Hi everyone

Sometimes life is really, really unfair… and right now is one of those times.  On Monday night I got a very heart-breaking phone call.  One of my students had just passed away in a tragic accident.  To be honest it just doesn’t seem real.

Matthew was washing his jersey in a bucket of water and using ‘kid logic’ he decided that it would dry quicker if he put it in front of the fan… so he plugged it in… with wet hands… and he got electrocuted. 

Just before the school holidays start we remind the children to be careful on their bikes and scooters.  We remind them to watch out for people hanging around the skate parks and things like that.  But sometimes the dangers are so much closer to home.

IMG_6080

Matthew was a neat kid… always up to mischief… and yes he drove me insane at times… but he was also creative and funny and a big part of our class family since he came into Room 4 last year.

This afternoon Matthew will be coming home until the funeral and to be honest I feel like I need to go and see him and say goodbye.  But how to you say goodbye to a ten-year old?  As I said, sometimes life is really, really unfair!

2 comments:

  1. Have written and rewritten what I wrote and deleted it all. Just don't know what to say. Thoughts are with everyone concerned. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto Vicki! What do you say when a tragedy like this happens? I don't know either. When you teach you take the kids to heart to a certain extent - only wanting what is best for them and wanting to contribute to what will serve them well in the future. I feel so bad for you Shell, there is an extra empty spot just reserved for Matthew, that will never again be filled. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Hi :) I really love hearing from you so please leave me a comment... I really appreciate it!
Thanks, Shell xx