Monday 9 May 2016

Watercolour sketch daisy cards.... an encore!

Hi there :)  Mike and I have had a busy weekend... including an impromptu visit to my sister and her family in Gisborne!  There's nothing like a road trip to make you start thinking about what you might like to create... and it got me thinking about the watercolour sketch daisy card I made last week:

The colours are really soft and lovely but I started wondering about using brighter colours and giving it even more of a watercolour feel.  I decided to make three cards to put together as a gift set so I got out my Distress Inks again and made some colour choices.

Card 1: Picked Raspberry, Wilted Violet, Twisted Citron and Mowed Lawn

Card 2: Salty Ocean, Squeezed Lemonade, Twisted Citron and Mowed Lawn

Card 3: Picked Raspberry, Salty Ocean, Twisted Citron and Mowed Lawn

I did exactly the same thing as I did with my first sketch daisy card... 'smooshed' my colours on a plastic mat and then used a wide paint brush to add water to my paper so that the colours would blend together.  I really like how the backgrounds turned out!  This time I heat gunned the first layer of colours dry and then added a bit more to create some depth:


Then I added the sentiment using the same stamps as I'd used previously and heat embossed with the Ranger Queen's Gold.

When I did each background I used some of the ink to colour the daisy and leaf inserts.  Since I didn't want them blowing away I let them dry naturally while I was doing all my stamping and embossing and then I added them to my card using the sketch flower as a guide for placement.

Next I put all my sketch flower die cuts through my Xyron, adhered them to my card and, since I wanted these cards to be a set I backed all of them with some coordinating green cardstock (Bazzill Patch) before adding them to my cards.

Of course they wouldn't be complete without a little bling!

And here's my finished cards:



I think they make quite a nice set of cards:

Thanks for stopping by my blog xx

4 comments:

  1. If I had to pick from such pretty cards, I would pick the pink & purple. Sets of these beautiful cards will make great Christmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute set of cards, love them all. Cara x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a stunning set of watercolored cards, Shell! And I love how you told us your process! Smooching is always like magic to me!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh these are fabulous and such great techniques, a truly wonderful set!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi :) I really love hearing from you so please leave me a comment... I really appreciate it!
Thanks, Shell xx